- What is Upstract?
- Upstract combines the unrivaled mother of news aggregators with a community of distinguished curators to bring you the whole Internet on a single page. And here's the best: Thanks to our Pro members, Upstract is a place where advertisers don’t call the shots — your data is not being tracked or shared. Just like it should be, right? You can learn more about the background story on the About page.
- Who can post on Upstract?
- Every user is encouraged to post stories 🙌. Upstract lives and breathes from your submissions of interesting and good reads.
- Does Upstract track me?
- Nope. We don't use tracking cookies or services like Google Analytics or Facebook Pixels. Your profile data is not shared with a third party. Verify
- Who is running Upstract?
- Upstract is a project that has been running for 20+ years and was single-handedly created by @thomas. It's backed by American business legend Mark Cuban.
- What kind of content should I post?
- Anything that feeds the curious mind, fits into any of the below topics and conforms to our Community Guidelines. You can post links to other sites and/or create original content with our awesome editor.
- Which topics are allowed?
- Please do only post content that fits into the following topics:
- Current Affairs
- Business & Finance
- Science & Tech
- Life & Health
- Media & Entertainment
- Arts & Culture
- Fun & Pets
- Can I add pictures or attachments?
- Sure! Pictures can be added directly in the editor or as an attachment. The same goes for documents like PDFs or even Zip files.
- Can I post videos?
- You can add short .mp4 videos as attachments, and they will play directly on the site. We encourage you to use Youtube or Vimeo for longer videos. We love Animated Gifs, though.
- Can links be posted more than once?
- No, but in case you submit a link that was posted before, we'll redirect you there.
- Can I edit a story once posted?
- Yes, you can make changes to the title or body text within 15 minutes.
- Can I delete a story once posted?
- Yes, posts, including all comments, can be deleted at any time.
- Do links have to feature fresh (news) content?
- Not at all. In fact, we love timeless pieces.
- Can I see the number of views of my post?
- Yes, but that number is only visible to you.
- What's the fastest way of posting?
- Use our → Bookmarklet. It works great.
- Are specific sites blocked?
- Yes, links to sites like Amazon, Facebook, or Pinterest are blocked. You'll get a notice before your post gets published.
- Is there a Upstract App?
- Upstract loves the Web, and our site is designed for mobiles. Native apps are not our top priority at this point.
Leaderboard / UpScore
- What is the Upstract Leaderboard?
- The Leaderboard ranks our most popular users from the last 30 days based on their UpScore
- What is UpScore?
- UpScore is a proprietary number similar to 'Karma' on other sites. It's based on multiple factors such as a member's posts popularity, activity, and comments.
- Are comments threaded?
- Yes, but Upstract encourages original thoughts, so we've limited comments to two levels. I.e., You can only reply to the top thread.
- Can I disable comments?
- Only if you are an Pro member.
- Why are there no vote buttons on the homepage?
- Unlike sites such as Reddit, we don't encourage across-the-board voting. We think that you should read the actual content first before casting your vote.
- Why is the amount of up- & downvotes not visible?
- We consider publishing the actual number irrelevant to make an informed decision whether you should up- or downvote a post.
- Can I vote on my own stories?
- No, but you can still click the vote button because the animation looks pretty cool.
- What's my user profile page?
- Your page can be reached at
upstract.com/u/usernameor, as a shortcut, via
upstract.com/@username. Your profile page will show all your posts as well as some meta-information on your account.
- What are the rules for usernames?
- Usernames can consist of A-Z and 0-9 and need to be at least 2 characters. Pro users can have usernames as short as 2 characters.
- How can I change my avatar?
- Upstract uses Gravatar.com — the Web's standard for profile pictures. If your account email is registered with them, your avatar will automatically show up on this site. You can still upload a custom picture if you like.
- Can I delete my account?
- Sure! Please file a support ticket via the contact page.
- What happens if someone doesn't adhere to the community guidelines?
- Their account will be disabled indefinitely.
- What's an Editorial user?
- Editorial users take care of content quality by curating hand-picked stories that are simply worth sharing.
Upstract Pro Membership
- What's a Pro user?
- Pro users have full access to the News Aggregator and get benefits like shorter usernames, higher voting power, etc.
- How do I recognize a Pro user?
- Pro users are marked with a yellow star or bar, depending on where you see their avatar.
- How can I become a Pro user?
- You can sign up any time after creating an account.
- What are the benefits for Pro users?
- Quite a lot:
- A clean experience
- No Advertising
- No Tracking
- Great Features
- Unlimited reading on all your devices
- Custom sort & hide news blocks
- Chronological LiveView
- Unlimited search results
- More stories per news block
- Additional reading customizations
- Dark Mode theme
- Support an independent maker
- How much is the Pro membership?
- A Pro membership is currently $4.90/month or $45/year (Save 25%).
- Do you offer coupons or discounts?
- No. Upstract is purposely kept at a low price to ensure it is accessible to everyone.
- Can I cancel my Pro membership?
- Sure, you can cancel the membership at any time. No questions asked.
- Which sites do have an embedded viewer?
- If you post a link to one of the following sites, their content will be directly embedded on Upstract.
- New York Times
- Are RSS feeds available?
- Absolutely! They're available for all topics, users, and more. Head over to our RSS Page for all the links.
- How many folks work at Upstract?
- Upstract was created single-handedly by @thomas. It's backed by American business legend Mark Cuban.
- Where can I find logos?
- You can download the official logo pack here.
- What is the best animal?
These are the platform-wide rules that apply to everyone on Upstract. The admins enforce these rules in various ways, including, but not limited to, temporary or permanent suspension of accounts, including all content. For pure legal speak, see our terms.
- Don't be a Lurker & Contribute Regularly
- Be Authentic & Post Things of Interest
- Keep it Legal & Respect Copyrights
- Be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
To share well, express yourself like the common people, but think like a wise man.— Aristotle