- What is Upstract?
- Upstract Is the Web's Most Exclusive Society of Refined News Enthusiasts.
Our approach to a genuinely committed content sharing & discovery community is quite unusual. First, we're invite-only. We also only allow following 10 users to prevent filter bubbles. Next, we kick out lurkers if they haven't shared anything in one month.
And Upstract is a place where advertisers don’t call the shots, or your data is being tracked or shared. Just like it should be, right? You can learn more about the background story on the About page.
- Who can post on Upstract?
- Every user can post new stories. However, Upstract is an invite-only community.
- Does Upstract track me?
- No! We don't use tools like Google Analytics or Facebook Tracking Pixels. Your profile data is not shared with a third party. Nice.
- How can I get an invite?
- Ask @thomas
- What kind of content should I post?
- Anything that feeds the curious mind and fits into any of the below topics. You can post links from other sites and or create original content with our nifty editor.
- Which topics are allowed?
- Please do only post content that fits into the following topics:
- Current Affairs
- Business & Finance
- Science & Tech
- Life & Health
- Media & Entertainment
- Arts & Culture
- Fun & Pets
- Can I add pictures or attachments?
- Sure! Pictures can be added directly in the editor or as an attachment. The same goes for documents like PDFs or even Zip files.
- Can I post videos?
- You can add short .mp4 videos as attachments, and they will play directly on the site. We encourage you to use Youtube or Vimeo for longer videos. We love Animated Gifs, though.
- Can links be posted more than once?
- No, but in case you submit a link that was posted before, we'll redirect you there.
- Can I edit a story once posted?
- Yes, you can make changes to the title or body text within 15 minutes.
- Can I delete a story once posted?
- Yes, posts, including all comments, can be deleted at any time.
- Do links have to feature fresh (news) content?
- Not at all. In fact, we love timeless pieces.
- Can I see the number of views of my post?
- Yes, but that number is only visible to you.
- What's the fastest way of posting?
- Use our → Bookmarklet. It works great.
- Are specific sites blocked?
- Yes, links to sites like Amazon, Facebook, or Pinterest are blocked. You'll get a notice before your post gets published.
- Is there a Upstract App?
- Upstract loves the Web, and our site is designed for mobiles. Native apps are not our top priority at this point.
- Are comments threaded?
- Yes, but Upstract encourages original thoughts, so we've limited comments to two levels. I.e., You can only reply to the top thread.
- Can I disable comments?
- You can only disable them for all your posts in your settings.
- Why are there no vote buttons on the homepage?
- Unlike sites such as Reddit, we don't encourage across-the-board voting. We think that you should read the actual content first before casting your vote.
- Why is the amount of up- & downvotes not visible?
- We consider publishing the actual number irrelevant to make an informed decision whether you should up- or downvote a post.
- What are Upstract Pals?
- Think of Pals as users you are following, but with a twist: We've limited the amount to only 10 people.
- Why can I only pal 10 users?
- Upstract is all about content variety and exposure to many different points of view. As such, pals on Upstract are not designed to create a filter bubble, but as a quick way to only get posts from a small group of people, such as your family or users, you consider important.
- What's my user profile page?
- Your page can be reached at
upstract.com/u/usernameor, as a shortcut, via
upstract.com/@username. Your profile page will show all your posts as well as some meta-information on your account.
- What are the rules for usernames?
- Usernames can consist of A-Z and 0-9 and need to be at least 6 characters. Elite users can have usernames as short as 2 characters.
- How can I change my avatar?
- Upstract uses Gravatar.com — the Web's standard for profile pictures. If your account email is registered with them, your avatar will automatically show up on this site.
- Can I delete my account?
- Sure! Please file a support ticket via the contact page.
- What happens if someone I invited doesn't adhere to the community guidelines?
- Their account and your account will be disabled; So please do only invite trusted persons.
- What's an Editorial user?
- Editorial users take care of content quality by curating hand-picked stories that are simply worth sharing.
Upstract Elite Membership
- What's an Elite user?
- Elite users have all kinds of benefits like shorter usernames, higher voting power, and more.
- How do I recognize an Elite user?
- Elite users are marked with a yellow star or bar, depending on where you see their avatar.
- How can I become an Elite user?
- You can sign up any time after creating an account.
- What are the benefits for Elite users?
- Quite a lot:
- No Ads, No Tracking, ever
- Your account never expires
- Username as short as 2 characters
- All News Aggregator Features
- Higher voting power
- Your comments are highlighted
- Add a bio and link to your profile
- Verified profile option
- Hide your post/comment timeline
- Disable comments on posts
- Get view numbers for your posts
- How much is the membership fee?
- You can check the current price on the plan page.
- Can I cancel my Elite membership?
- Sure, you can cancel the membership at any time. No questions asked.
- Which sites do have an embedded viewer?
- If you post a link to one of the following sites, their content will be directly embedded on Upstract.
- Are RSS feeds available?
- Absolutely! Head over to our RSS Page for all the links.
- How many folks work at Upstract?
- Upstract was created single-handedly by @thomas.
- Where can I find logos?
- You can download the official logo pack here.
- What is the best animal?
These are the platform-wide rules that apply to everyone on Upstract. The admins enforce these rules in various ways, including, but not limited to, temporary or permanent suspension of accounts, including all content. For pure legal speak, see our terms.
- Don't be a Lurker & Contribute Regularly
- Be Authentic & Post Things of Interest
- Keep it Legal & Respect Copyrights
- Be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
To share well, express yourself like the common people, but think like a wise man.— Aristotle